Monday, September 17, 2007

Birthday dinner conversation

My husband and I actually had a date, out of the house, away from the kids, just the two of us! Doesn't happen often but we enjoy it when it does. We were discussing spiritual growth in the past year when Chris asked me where I was spiritually. I never realized how hard of a question that was to answer. There is always room for improvement. We must always strive to do better as Christians. I'm not where I want to be but I'm working on it. I'm praying more for sure and I can thank my Christian sisters for that. Praying for their needs has led me back into a life of prayer that I have desired to have and was putting off. I, however am not in the word as much as I should be. We were then talking about worship and how God created everyone with different worship styles. How true. If we all worshipped the same way it would not be reflective of the creative God we worship. The conversation then turned to how we witness. I have heard it commented about people being "quiet" Christians. I would probably say that about myself as well. It's just my personality right? But I was thinking about my mom and the growth that I have seen in her life in the past fifteen years or so. She is by no means an outgoing type of person. She hardly speaks up and she doesn't like confronting people. In her spiritual growth though the Lord has equipped her to share the gospel and to pray outwardly for those around her. She will pray with complete strangers and offer a bibilical word of encouragement for most everyone. Is it her personality to do so? Definately not. I was thinking then about the scripture to go forth and make disciples of all nations. It doesn't say outgoing people spread the word or those that like to talk go spread the word. It is a calling for every single person that is reborn in Christ. God calls all of us to be outgoing in our faith. He will provide everything we need to do so. It is through spiritual growth that we gain the confidence to witness. I want to be like my mom! Right now in my life I am usually scared to speak up. Usually scared that people will think I'm a religious freak. Scared that I might sound seriously dumb! Scared, scared, scared. Why do these things even matter? Really? I may be uncomfortable but what if I am the only person that someone will ever hear the gospel message from? God will hold be accountable for all the missed opportunities. Will He love me less? No but we are still called to spread the word. I pray that as I grow spiritually the word of God will overflow from my heart and mouth and that I will forget what men think and instead focus on what God thinks.

No comments: